Prosecutors drop charges against Kevin Spacey
Prosecutors have dropped a case accusing Kevin Spacey of groping an 18-year-old man at a Massachusetts resort island bar in 2016.
Mr Spacey was accused of getting an 18-year-old man drunk and then groping him at a bar and restaurant in Nantucket where the teen worked as a bus boy. Mr Spacey denied the allegations.
Mr Spacey’s accuser used the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution to protect himself from self-incrimination.
He also refused to testify about text messages the defence claims were deleted.
The accuser had been ordered to testify about a cellphone he used the night of the alleged assault.
He was supposed to turn it over to the defence but said it was missing.
In a statement on Wednesday, the Cape and Islands District Attorney’s Office said the “unavailability of the complaining witness” had led them to drop the case.
The allegations came after another actor accused a then 26-year-old Mr Spacey of climbing on top of him on a bed when he was just 16.
Mr Spacey apologised for any inappropriate conduct, which he said he could not remember.
Amid these allegations and multiple others, Mr Spacey was dropped from the hit Netflix series House of Cards and had his scenes edited out of the film All the Money in the World.
Balanced journalism is essential to keeping people properly informed. If you feel our coverage of this story is biased, please let us know.