Alek Sigley denies he was spying on North Korea
Alek Sigley, who was released from detention in North Korea last week, has denied allegations by Pyongyang that he is a spy.
Mr Sigley was studying in the North Korean capital before he went missing on 25 June.
He was released last Thursday with the help of Swedish diplomats and left for Tokyo where he was reunited with his wife.
He wrote for Western media, such as NK News, during his time in North Korea.
However, the regime accused him of spreading anti-Pyongyang propaganda.
Pyongyang’s official Korean Central News Agency said North Korea deported Mr Sigley after he pleaded for forgiveness over his activities, which the agency said infringed on North Korea’s sovereignty.
“He honestly admitted his spying acts of systematically collecting and offering data about the domestic situation of the DPKR and repeatedly asked for pardon, apologising for encroachment upon the sovereignty of the DPKR”, the agency said.
He took to Twitter to release a statement regarding the situation, where he said the accusations leveled against him were “(pretty obviously) false.”
Mr Sigley continued in the thread by saying Tongil Tours, his tour company, “will be cancelling all its tours until further notice.”
He added he will now not be able to receive his masters degree from Kim Il Sung University, saying the whole situation “makes me very sad.”
“I may never again walk the streets of Pyongyang, a city that holds a very special place in my heart.
“I may never again see my teachers and my partners in the travel industry, whom I’ve come to consider close friends. But that’s life.”
Mr Sigley concluded the thread by saying he will not hold any media interviews, hold a press conference or answer questions on social media about the situation.
Balanced journalism is essential to keeping people properly informed. If you feel our coverage of this story is biased, please let us know.