21 things I learned in 21 years
When I started writing for OPMG, I had so many ideas for the coming articles I was going to write. For me having a platform where I could be myself and say what I felt was like a dream come true.
Two months before my birthday, in a conversation with OPMG’s Chief Editor, I pitched the idea of writing a list of 21 important lessons I have learned in 21 years. He loved the idea of it, which made me even more excited to write it.
For me, writing has always been about writing from the heart. I didn’t think about the rules too much; what I should say and what I shouldn’t. I just wanted it to be raw. Writing this article for the “big 21” is just another way for me to achieve this, and I was grateful to have received this opportunity.
A few days before my birthday, I found myself reflecting on how it felt to be turning 21. I thought to myself, “21 lessons”, and began writing. Five minutes later I found myself going to number 25, and then it hit me — I have learned a lot, especially these past few years. So, it was a matter of finding what lessons are the most important.
I wondered if there was just one lesson that stood out for me the most out of everything. But the truth is, I couldn’t choose. Picking one would mean that I could sum up my whole life in a sentence and I don’t think I can — I don’t think I want to.
So, after a week of reflecting, here are the most important 21 lessons I have learned in 21 years.
- Your life, is yours. It is your story, you decide where it goes.
- Being present and living in the moment will make you aware of where you are and where you want to be.
- You never outgrow the things you love doing; they never really leave you.
- Patience is a virtue.
- Self love is a balance between loving yourself and giving love to others.
- Everything you want is attracting you.
- If you value yourself, you will always know what you deserve.
- Mind, body and soul; the three pillars of a happy and healthy life.
- Meditation allows yourself to control your thoughts instead of letting your thoughts control you.
- The truth is always beautiful.
- Listen to your heart, it never lies.
- Treating yourself is good for your morale.
- You can have anything you want, if you just love.
- The definition of love is the definition of life.
- The energy you surround yourselves with matters. It always matters.
- Your art will speak to you when you feel you are ready to listen to the language of your soul.
- Trusting yourself will allow the things you want to happen in your life come to life.
- Your thoughts manifest if you really want them to.
- You decide how you feel.
- Believe in who you are so you can make magic happen.
- Ben and Jerrys at 12 am is always a good choice.
If you disagree with the opinion expressed in this or any other article, or simply want to share your thoughts on a topic, feel free to send us a draft.